Thursday, August 1, 2019

Time to Grow Up


I freely admit to not being a easy-going, fun-loving type of guy.  At dinner yesterday, my dear daughter alluded to the way in which she was raised both as a child and an athlete; it seems that I could be rather demanding at times.  So be it, and I still think she’ll show for the funeral, schedule permitting.


That said, I wonder how long until 22-year old Eloy Jimenez grows up.  Jimenez looks to be more interested in playing class clown in the dugout than serving as rebuild foundation for the White Sox.  It would be nice if someone would point out the Sox already have a clown in Yolmer Sanchez, who is very good and creative in what he does.  But I’d argue a team needs only one player who’ll dump the Gatorade on himself when a teammate provides the walk-off hit.


And it would be nice if one of those Sox mentors I hear so much about would point out to Jimenez, who turns 23 at the end of November, what 20-year old Juan Soto is doing for the Nationals.  Last year as a teenager, Soto hit 22 homeruns with 70 RBIs and a .292 BA; this season he’s at 20/70/.289 with two months to go.  By contrast, Jimenez has a slash line of 17/39/.232.

Those are numbers more befitting a clown than a budding star.  

No comments:

Post a Comment