Monday, March 23, 2020

Bottom Drawer, Left-hand Corner


A few weeks ago, I bought an Uncle Sam “I Want You” poster from 1940, with a recruiting station address in Philadelphia (2nd and Chestnut Streets, 2nd floor of the Custom[s] House).  Lucky for me sellers on eBay have been dropping their prices since the start of the Coronavirus.
 
You’d think a piece of paper 12-1/2 ” by 9” wouldn’t cost much, and you’d be wrong; James Montgomery Flagg’s rendering of Uncle Same has long been an icon of American culture.  But these are End Times (just kidding, I think), and not all the old rules apply.  Something that started at five dollars under $400 ended up going for well under half that.
 
Of course, there was a corner to deal with; it looked as if someone had taken a lit match to paper.  I gambled I could trim the affected area and match the paper, more or less.  That sent me off on a scavenger hunt through the house.  Not only did I find a sheet of 1970s’ paper (from one of my undergraduate classes, no less), but I also came across a bunch of White Sox ticket stubs and a program.  Talk about your treasure trove stuffed in a back-porch drawer.
 
All but one of the stubs, along with a season schedule, are from 1990, when a friend was kind enough to share his “golden box,” a perfectly named season-tickets’ section, if there ever were; the seats were three rows back of the Sox dugout at Comiskey Park.  We took my parents to one of the games, and my father started ragging on Ozzie Guillen in the on-deck circle, yelling, “Tuck your shirt in!” so loud Guillen turned around to see who was shouting at him.  As I’ve said, going to a Sox game with my father was a lot like going to church.  You dressed a certain way, you acted a certain way, and heaven help anyone who didn’t.
 
What I didn’t expect to find was the ticket stub from August 25, 1967, game two of a Friday doubleheader, White Sox vs. Red Sox.  The first game, a makeup for a June rainout, had gone to Boston, 7-1, and things didn’t look all that good for the White Sox in game two.  They were starting a rookie four weeks shy of his 27th birthday.  I’d never heard of the guy, and at the time I was what you’d call a rabid Sox fan.
 
If you’re going to be a journeyman major-league pitcher with a career mark of 11-18, you might as well make an impression in your first start, and right-hander Cisco Carlos certainly did that, not giving up a hit until two out in the fifth inning.  For his major-league debut, Carlos yielded 0 runs in 6.1 innings on four singles and a walk, this against a Boston lineup that included the likes of Carl Yastrzemski; George Scott; Reggie Smith; and Rico Petrocelli but not Tony Conigliaro.  The 22-year old star had taken a fastball to his left eye socket and cheek just seven days earlier.       
 
The 1967 White Sox being hitless wonders (.225 team batting average), Carlos had been staked to a 1-0 lead that reliever Bob Locker couldn’t quite hold.  The score was tied at one going into the bottom of the ninth.  Ron Hansen led off with a single, after which J.C. Martin bunted him to second base.  Pinch-hitter Smokey Burgess drew an intentional walk, and Ken Berry singled in Hansen for the winning run.  That was White Sox baseball once upon a time.
 
I was so excited I marked Berry with a three-run homer instead of a single.  In my defense, let me say Berry may have hit the ball off the top of the wall in right, and, even if he didn’t, the crowd sure made it sound like a homerun.  According to the baseballreference.com box score, there were 34,580 fans in attendance that night.  You need to understand that 34,000-plus fans at Comiskey Park sounded like 50,000-plus at a ballmall, if they ever made one that big.
 
The win put the White Sox record at 70-55, a half a game out of first place.  I remember that Friday as sunny, with the field bathed in golden sunlight those innings before dusk, but I can’t tell you if my father was happy that his, our, team had won.  I’d like to think so, and that we went to a hot dog stand afterwards to celebrate as was our post-game custom.  Of course, he was happy.

Just  like I was to come across that ticket stub in a drawer.

No comments:

Post a Comment