Saturday, March 21, 2020

Peddles Away


I go through an exercycle every four years, on average.  That comes out to ten during my life as a spouse and seven as a parent.  Any time you’re ready to be tested, Peloton.

 

Sometimes, I wonder if companies pull people off the street to do the design work.  Three machines ago, I had a magnetic-resistance, electric plug-in model, the upside being it was very light and easy to store.  The downside stemmed from the location of the plug-in adapter; it was forever being stepped on or kicked when I got on or off the bike.  The four years for that model ended pretty abruptly courtesy of my left foot, or the right one.

 

The machine before last challenged me to be the best mechanic possible.  If a piece of equipment could be replaced, I did it, from computer screen to ball-bearing rings; I even found a way to repair the chain when it broke.  Then, one day last fall, the weld that held the seat mount to the frame failed.  Slowly did I fall into the couch, all the while on my seat.  You could say it was time for a new bike.

 

This one is better made than most of its predecessors, sort of.  The first problem had nothing to do with the design.  No, I think somebody fell asleep at the factory, which was how I ended up with a computer screen that did readouts in kilometers and kph.  Not much use, that.  I contacted the company, and a service rep—we’ll call her Alice—answered.  She sent the right computer screen and asked for a favor, that I write a glowing review of the machine on Amazon; in return, I would receive a $20 gift card for my troubles.  I took a pass.

 

Then, about ten days ago, one of the peddles started going bad.  By that I mean it wobbled.  Talk about a weird sensation sent up from my foot.  So, I contacted Alice again, and she provided replacement peddles that arrived yesterday.  I installed them, and everything was fine, maybe.

The peddles were shipped from China, which led me to dispose of all packaging as soon as I finished the installation.  From everything I’ve read, you don’t get Coronavirus from bicycle peddles.  The joke would be on me if you do.   

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment