Saturday, August 22, 2020

"A Ton of Slug"


I depend on my daughter for baseball updates.  The day the White Sox signed Luis Robert, we were standing in line to tour a Frank Lloyd Wright house.  That was a few years ago, unlike Thursday, when Clare called or texted scoring updates in the Sox 9-0 win over the Tigers; we were at the Milwaukee Zoo in search of elephants.  The updates are timely and, best of all, don’t cost a thing.  The elephants were pretty cool about it, too.

 

Last night, I didn’t need updates for the Sox visit to Wrigley Field; I watched the game for the full six Sox homeruns.  Robert hit a missile, Eloy Jimenez and Yasmani Grandal bombs.  Danny Mendick added a nice line drive into the bleachers while Jose Abreu golfed one and blasted another.  A person could get used to this sort of thing.

 

So, I feel good, but I also remember last Saturday, when I wanted to pillory Lucas Giolito and the coaching staff for dropping a twin bill against the Cardinals.  Baseball is like Chicago weather—things can change in short order.  I need to keep that in mind so as not to turn manic during this sprint of a season..

 

Cubs’ manager David Ross told reporters before the game the Sox have “a ton of slug” in their lineup.  Yes, they do, along with youth, which makes them different from the South Side Hit Men of 1977.  I was young then, watching a team full of veterans; I’m older now.  Best to sit back and enjoy the youngsters.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment