Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Things are Getting Serious


Again, I can’t help but count my lucky stars at being the parent of an ex- high school and college athlete.  Don’t get me wrong.  I miss watching my daughter play softball more than you can imagine, but the fact remains I got to watch her for a full eight years, with five summers of travel thrown in as a bonus.  My guess is that there are a lot of parents out there who’d love to trade what I had for where they are with their kids.

 

The Big Ten just created a bunch more potential—and imaginary—trading partners yesterday by announcing the postponement of all fall sports.  What that comes down to is, Goodbye, Football.  Goodbye to the big revenue generator for ten (plus four, it must be the New Math) athletic departments.  The only appropriate response here is, Wow.  Things are getting serious.  The Pac-12 also announced yesterday they were postponing fall sports.

 

Three other major conferences have indicated they intend to go forward with football (we turn our lonely eyes to you, Ole Miss).  Good luck with that.  Good luck with betting on the health of your players, despite evidence COVID-19 has led to heart problems with young athletes.  But, hey, the game’s the thing.

 

I get players telling the media they want to play; the sport is in large part who they are.  What I don’t get is coaches acting like their livelihoods have been taken away.  No, they haven’t.  But play and risk the health of your charges.  Now, that could be taking something away.

 

There’s just no getting around we’re in uncharted territory here.  As hard as this may be, we’re going to have to start thinking in terms of cancelling, not postponing, fall sports.  You’re going to play a bunch of games in spring and then go back to a full slate in the fall, coronavirus permitting?  I doubt even young, athletic bodies could handle the strain.

 

People like Clare and me may be the lucky ones.  We have the memories, the pictures, the video clips.  High school and college athletes today just have a lot of uncertainty.   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment