Tuesday, June 1, 2021

Pressure

When Clare was in high school, I advised her on how to deal with reporters, having been one myself. Have something to say and say it well, I advised. And she did, although it’s just as likely that she was a natural who didn’t need a bit of instruction. Maybe tennis star Naomi Osaka could use a bit of my daughter right now. The 23-year old pulled out of the French Open yesterday, citing depression and social anxiety, the latter of which only intensifies when dealing with the media. The problem for Osaka and all professional athletes is that media fuels sports. This is about more than a few classes on public speaking or tips on making eye contact. Some athletes like my daughter are at ease in front of a camera and microphone; others feel the dread Osaka alluded to in her statement. The only substantive suggestion I have is for reporters to treat their subjects with respect. Not everyone in the heat of the moment wants to comment on how and why they lost, or share how they “feel.” Personally, I feel with my hands. Doesn’t everyone? The individual sports also need to reconsider their commitment to immediate access. Reporters may want to question athletes minutes after a game because people say things in the heat of the moment. I’ve always thought performance speaks for itself. Analysis doesn’t require someone saying, “I screwed up.” Let athletes catch their breath, take a shower, compose themselves; then have the interview. Immediacy and spontaneity shouldn’t come at the cost of emotional health.

No comments:

Post a Comment