Sunday, June 20, 2021

Turn Up the Volume?

Maybe I need to stop watching White Sox games with the sound off. That way, I could tell if the announcers are seeing what I see. Not that I wanted to see what I saw in last night’s 7-3 loss to the Astros: Jose Abreu looking old, Lance Lynn, too, and Yermin Mercedes looking more and more like a one-month wonder. I’m also starting to wonder about rookie outfielder Andrew Vaughn. You could say I’m really split over the 23-year old first baseman/left fielder. Vaughn is lights-out against lefties, hitting .344 with five of his six homers and ten of his seventeen (that’s all in 182 at-bats) RBIs. But against righties, Vaughn looks overmatched, batting just .182 with 37 strikeouts in 121 at-bats. That’s got to change if Vaughn wants to keep playing (in the outfield, at first or dh) if and when regular left fielder Eloy Jimenez returns. But the season is a marathon, with sloggy sections for most teams. My daughter called this morning to wish me a Happy Father’s Day, and we talked some quick baseball; she agrees on Abreu and Mercedes. Clare and Chris will both be coming over this afternoon. Maybe I’ll just keep the sound off and let the two of them do the talking.

No comments:

Post a Comment