Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Giancarlo Stanton Strikes It (Super) Rich


Here’s my problem with the Miami Marlins signing Giancarlo Stanton, their 25-year old star right fielder, to a 13-year contract worth $325 million—taxpayers are footing a lot of that salary.

That’s because Dade County and the city of Miami financed most of the $600 million-plus Marlins’ baseball complex that opened in 2012; factor in interest payments, and the public will be on the hook for anywhere between $2.4 and $3 billion.  (Exact figures are hard to come by since no one wants to talk about it.  Public officials tend to blush when word of their gullibility breaks, just as teams don’t want to be seen for the greedy entities they are.)

Any team in any sport can sign any player it wants, as long as the same rules hold for those involved and their fans.  I can buy a new car every January, just as long as I can meet my mortgage payments.  If I can’t do both, (and trust me, I can’t), the repo man will drive away with one possession while the sheriff’s deputy evicts me from the other.  Fear of financial ruins makes for great discipline in the real world.  Professional sports teams ought to try it sometime. 
That, or taxpayers should force them to.

No comments:

Post a Comment