Saturday, February 14, 2015

Tony Gwynn, Contd.


The Valparaiso baseball team is playing this weekend at San Diego State, alma mater of Tony Gwynn.  “If I were there, I’d probably cry,” Clare admitted yesterday.  

Again, this is all amazing to me.  If I look to my right, I can see the photo of Clare and yours truly with Walt “No Neck” Williams, taken when she was five.  The picture means more to me than it ever will to my daughter.  Bumping into Bill “Moose” Skowron at SoxFest freshman of college went a little better, especially when Skowron told Clare to take the ball up the middle without concern for the pitcher’s head (add expletive where you think Moose may have put it).  But Gwynn, the perpetual National Leaguer, is the man for my daughter, more so maybe than Frank Thomas.

So, we go back to how baseball relates to people in a way football and basketball can’t, at least for anyone normal sized.  Imagine what would happen if a woman were ever to make a big-league roster.  Right, owner Oprah?

No comments:

Post a Comment