Wednesday, September 23, 2015

The Crux of the Problem


 When Clare called Monday, it was to discuss the White Sox and not the WNBA Chicago Sky, who would shortly bow out of the playoffs with a 100-89 loss to the Indiana Fever at Allstate Arena.  The Arena seats 17,000-plus, while a deciding playoff game drew a crowd of 2,882 fans.

I didn’t watch the game, and I don’t know any of the Sky players other than Elena Delle Donne.  At the risk of sounding like a broken record (or whatever the Itunes’/Ipod equivalent is), I would love to see what the 6’4” Delle Donne could do on a ballfield.  The thing is, she may have to start thinking of a career change if her team can’t draw better.  This was the postseason, when interest in the sport is supposed to be at its peak.

Let me put it another way:  When the White Sox swept the Tigers on Monday, they dropped Detroit into the Central Division cellar with a 69-81 record.  Still, the two games combined drew nearly 63,000 fans—to downtown Detroit, to watch two teams fighting to stay out of last place.  I may be too old and too male and too set in my ways to factor into WNBA marketing.  Alright, then, I’m not a big loss.  But my 24-year old daughter couldn’t care less about the league, and that is a problem.  I wish I had answers, but outside of everyone playing baseball, I don’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment