Thursday, October 15, 2015

Degrees of Separation


I’ve been fortunate meeting ex-ballplayers.  Luke Appling claimed to have broken up Bob Feller’s Opening Day 1940 no-hitter with what should have been a double down the left-field line; Feller wondered about Appling’s mental state.  Billy Pierce recalled his surprise in 1960 when a very young and talented Johnny Callison was traded away while Bill “Moose” Skowron told me I couldn’t afford the World Series ring he was putting up for sale.  I don’t count the time Joe DiMaggio hid behind a screen at a memorabilia show.  DiMaggio did that to everyone.

The summer Clare was five, I took her to see Walt Williams, my favorite White Sox player of all time; Williams was managing the independent Altoona Rail Kings, who were playing at Lewis University one night in August 1996.  We took pictures, and players laughed when they saw the tiny comic book I brought along of “The Walt Williams Story”; given its dimensions, the comic probably was put in packs of baseball cards.  Being in the presence of a big-league ballplayer hardly registered with Clare.  She had more fun being chased around the bases by a team mascot between innings.

Paul Konerko is my daughter’s Walt Williams.  She grew up watching him, cheered him throughout the playoffs in 2005 and said Good-bye both last year and this.  I wonder what Paulie thinks of the Cubs’ playoff run so far.  Winning a World Series must give a person perspective on things.  Oh, oracle, what should we do in the face of Cub victory?  A little louder, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment