Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Easter in October


For me the end of the regular baseball season is like the end of Lent.  What did I give up this year?  The White Sox winning, of course.  Now for Easter.

To continue the metaphor if not the cliché, I may have a slight cross to bear in the weeks ahead, that is, if the Cubs beat the Pirates in the wildcard playoff tomorrow night in Pittsburgh.  But hope springs eternal.  What is it with these clichés of mine?

Clare has a night class Wednesday, but she’ll find a way to call me, not for updates (her smartphone will do that) but for color.  How did this happen, or that?  If they win, it’ll be the end of the world.  No, my child, it won’t.  Just remember 2003.

Clare was eleven going on twelve that autumn of the Bartman Ball.  I’d already made my peace with the Cubs winning after they’d dispensed of the Braves.  It happened at Russell’s Barbecue, an old sprawling roadhouse where we were eating.  The ribs were good, but the Cubs did a real number on my stomach; I swear there was a TV set in every room of every establishment we stepped into during those playoffs.  The acquired Zen made the ensuing Marlins’ contretemps all the more enjoyable.  But will this deus ex machina happen a second time?
Hope springs eternal.

No comments:

Post a Comment