Sunday, June 26, 2016

Unifrom Attire


Uniform Attire

I read somewhere once that the White Sox have one of the greatest number--or the most, pardon my memory--of different uniforms in MLB history.  You can date the fan by the uniform they most identify with.

For me, it’s the one from 1959, with pinstripes and SOX spelled in Old English script.  Even better were the caps, S-O-X- in block lettering on an interlocking diagonal, the letters white outlined in red.  The uniform the team has now is a black-and-white version, with the Old English script on the caps.  They’re OK.

The worst uniforms are a tossup between the 1976 clam diggers courtesy of Bill Veeck and the 1983 “candy wrapper,” as someone I know once described it: a white pullover jersey with red and blue horizontal banding, SOX in fat type.  I can still see Greg Luzinski running around in this monstrosity.  Thank God they changed uniforms in the late ‘80s.
So, of course the team uniform the past two years for Sunday home games has been the ’83 monstrosity.  And, of course, my daughter loves it.  “Throwback” is all in the eyes of the beholder, I guess.   

No comments:

Post a Comment