Saturday, April 22, 2017

And Now For Something Completely Different


 I turned on the start of the Bulls-Celtics’ game last night to catch Rajon Rondo in street clothes, by which I mean matching purplish shirt, tie, pants and short-sleeved (!) sports’ jacket.  That’s what happens when you suffer a broken thumb, I guess.  Somehow, the Bulls managed to play worse than Rondo looked, losing to Boston by a score of 104-87.

Late in the third quarter, my thoughts drifted over to baseball, as they are wont to do, and I got to wondering why Don Drysdale is in the Hall of Fame but Billy Pierce isn’t.  The 6’5” Drysdale had a 14-year career during which he went 209-166 with a 2.95 ERA to go with 167 complete games, 49 shutouts and a 3-3 record in the World Series.  That compares to the 5’10” Pierce, who over 18 seasons (including the 10 innings he pitched as an 18-year old for the Tigers in 1945) went 211-169 with a 3.27 ERA in addition to 193 complete games, 38 shutouts and a 1-1 World Series record.  Again, I ask:  Why Drysdale and not Pierce?

There can't be any dots to connect from Brooklyn to Los Angles back to Cooperstown.  Right?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment