Friday, September 15, 2017

For the Record Books


True White Sox fans are said to love their team (while ripping it, see: Jerry Reinsdorf, new ballpark, Chris Sale trade) and whoever is playing the Cubs that day (Go, Cardinals!).  For added measure, I pretty much hate all the other teams in the AL Central Division.

Take Kansas City, (please).  My dislike of the Royals dates to the 1970s, when Willie Wilson and company ran themselves silly, courtesy of the Astroturf at Kauffman.  The artificial turf was replaced with real grass over twenty years, and the Royals still run themselves silly against us.

Ditto the Twins.  The Metrodome used to be a house of horrors for the Sox, some Twinkie hitting the “Baggie” in right field to insure a win.  The Twins have a new home, but the Sox keep losing up in the Twin Cities.  Holy Killebrew, Carew, Puckett…

I used to like the Indians because of Strat-O-Matic.  Talk about a pitching staff: Sam McDowell, Steve Hargan, Luis Tiant.  But it’s different when the real thing beats your real thing.  Another thing, those stacked Cleveland teams from the mid- to late-90s underperformed and cost me a pizza come World Series time.  Factor in Chief Wahoo, and I don’t like the Indians.

Which brings us to the Tigers.  With them, it’s more love-hate.  I fell in love with the Start-O-Matic Tigers because of Gates Brown (great cards with good coverage), whom I actually got to interview once.  The real team had cool uniforms and a wonderful ballpark in Tiger Stadium with that the upper-deck overhang.  But the idiots tore the park down, and I can’t stand Victor Martinez.  So, add Detroit to the “do not root for” list.

Obviously, then, yesterday’s 17-7 Sox beat-down of the Tigers was thoroughly enjoyable.  It’s always nice when your team has 25 hits, even if 21 of them were singles.  And Avisail Garcia continued his breakthrough season by going five for five with seven RBIs, tying a franchise record held by Carl Reynolds in 1930.

I used to have a team picture of the 1930 Sox.  It was over a yard long and nearly a foot wide, each player shown separately.  The first year Clare went to nationals in Kansas City, I sold the picture on eBay to help finance the trip.  If Garcia can tie Reynolds, then maybe one day I can buy back that picture.  I check every day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment