Saturday, December 9, 2017

Practice Makes Perfect


With her fiancé Chris on the road recruiting for Elmhurst football, Clare slept over for part of the week.  I know the ghost in the house was happy for the visit, because our daughter is very considerate and always leaves the light on for him in every room.  Alright, maybe I was a little happy, too.

Naturally, we went hitting one night at Stella’s.  At 7 PM on a cold Tuesday evening, there were a total of six people there—a 12-year old and his hitting instructor (maybe an older brother), a 14-year old and her father and a 26-year old with her father (depending on her mood, Clare might list me among her hitting coaches).  My kid didn’t do too badly.  She went twelve tokens good for 120 pitches and put the bat on every one, with just one foul tip.  You know, if she practiced, she might be really good.  Oh, wait, she did and was and may still be.

Our reward was coming home to a nice dinner of piping hot chili.  (By the way, kudos to the person who invented oyster crackers.)  “How many of your co-workers went hitting today?” I asked.  But we all knew the answer to that already.  I think I even caught the ghost smiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment