Saturday, December 15, 2018

Of Opportunites and Glass Ceilings


 I would never tell my daughter she has a good head on her shoulders for fear it might explode.  Better she thinks the old man thinks she’s a dope.  Too bad a Chicago sports’ team felt the same way.

This week, Clare had a phone interview with one of the local big four franchises.  (Sorry, Chicago Fire, but soccer doesn’t count).  Of course, it would be too much to hope for this to be a position that involves player development and/or acquisition; I’m pretty sure those jobs don’t get advertised.  But the team in question did want a bright young person to hire.  I’d like to think my daughter qualifies.

Here’s the thing—they offered her $20,000 less than she’s already making.  Then they told her she could probably earn another $10,000 with overtime; imagine how many hours that would come out to.  I wouldn’t bet on Clare changing jobs just yet.
Of course, if it did involve a real front-office opportunity, no matter how junior, I wonder.  My kid knows more than one sport, and she knows talent when she sees it.  But front offices are the last refuge of old boys, including wunderkinds with degrees from Harvard.  You can see them at work on the other side of the glass.  

No comments:

Post a Comment