Thursday, December 2, 2021

Silly Silly

The looming lockout by MLB owners has led to all sorts of silliness in these parts. For example, I saw the suggestion somewhere that the White Sox move Time Anderson to second base and sign Javy Baez to play short; I’d love to listen in on the conversation between Anderson and whoever got stuck giving him the bad news. And that’s not to be confused with the story pushing for Anderson to be traded to the Yankees. Yup, it was a New York fan site. A lot of people also want the Sox to go after Nick Castellanos, because of all those World Series rings, I guess. And what about the guy I saw on Twitter having second thoughts about shipping off Nick Madrigal to the Cubs? Like I said, it’s silly season out there. Oh, how it pains me to agree with the course of (in)action taken so far by GM Rick Hahn. Barring surprises (and how Hahn loves to pull those on the media), the Sox will either trade for a second baseman and/or right fielder or promote from within. Yes, yes, a million times for option number two. Andrew Vaughn and Gavin Sheets showed great promise as rookies this year. I’d rather see what they can do next season than tie myself to a big contract with Castellanos. Ditto at second base. Danny Mendick is sound defensively, along with the recently resigned Leury Garcia, and there’s a ton of middle infield talent in the minors. You draft players to develop them, right? I’d rather see Hahn gamble on what he’s developed vs. what he could get in a trade, especially if it means losing Vaughn or Sheets. Everyone else in the twitter-verse wants to spend other people’s money, me, I want to hold onto it. Oh, the time will come to spend. But spend the money sewing up Lucas Gioilito and Michael Kopech, not Matt Scherzer or Clayton Kershaw. Develop your own talent, then reward success, that’s my motto. Still got money burning a hole in your pocket? Then overpay Carlos Rodon for two years. Problem(s) solved.

No comments:

Post a Comment