Monday, March 7, 2022

My Madness

For the first time I can remember and maybe for the first time in my life, I watched two men’s college basketball games over a weekend. On Saturday, Loyola of Chicago beat Northern Iowa to advance to the finals in the Missouri Valley tournament. Sunday, the Ramblers beat Drake to secure a bid to the NCAA tournament. College sports make me admittedly prickly. I insist on drawing a distinction between student athletes and athletes participating in minor-league programs run by colleges and universities for the benefit of pro sports. Loyola rates in the first category. Yesterday, first-year Ramblers’ coach Drew Valentine used nine players, not one of them an undergraduate; but three of his starters were fifth-year/COVID graduate students, along with one junior and a senior. When was the last time Duke went with an all upperclassmen starting five? Last year, under Porter Moser, critics would have been tempted to say the Ramblers played a suburban, or “white” game, with a lot of passing and assists to go with take-a-charge and floor-burn defense. Coach Valentine isn’t white, though he is employing that same team-first approach. It works for me. I have three college degrees and have some idea what it takes to graduate; my daughter was a college athlete who, so far, has earned two degrees. She was a true student athlete who balanced time in the weight room with time in the library. Members of the men’s Loyola basketball team look to be doing the same. Go, Ramblers.

No comments:

Post a Comment