Tuesday, October 4, 2022

Adieu

In what I’m guessing was his last start in a White Sox uniform, Johhny Cueto pitched seven innings for the win last night as the White Sox topped the Twins, 3-2. Unlike Tony La Russa, Cueto should be wearing a uniform, somewhere, next season. La Russa made it official in a press conference before the game, alluding to a second health problem that will keep him from managing next year. Along the way, he took a swipe at the media while talking about “love” and “family,” in all the wrong places, I might add. Don’t let the door hit you on the way out, Tony. Sox GM Rick Hahn dusted off his “was done by” voice to address the media as well. As quoted in today’s The Athletic, Hahn said, “If there ever got to the point where I felt like I wasn’t the right person in my role, I’d step aside.” Rick, we passed that point quite some time ago. Signing Dallas Keuchel, Yasmani Grandal and Joe Kelly while trading for A.J. Pollock and Jake Diekman would have gotten just about any general manager not employed by Jerry Reinsdorf fired. Lucky you. In all fairness to Hahn, he’s not a complete disaster. He can always point to trading for Dylan Cease and Eloy Jimenez and drafting Andrew Vaughn in his defense. Maybe he’ll outdo himself picking a new manager. If only we knew what Ozzie Guillen said behind closed doors to get himself blacklisted. Guillen is an actual Chicagoan, equal parts smart and profane, though I wish he lived south of Madison Street. But, as a player, he did reside in the same inner-ring suburb I call home. If Hahn were to rehire Ozzie, ticket sales would go through the roof. But, like I said, something happened behind closed doors. I don’t want Bruce Bochy; he’s too old and not a Spanish speaker. Miguel Cairo has done enough to deserve serious consideration. We’ll see. Hahn talked change through trades rather than free-agent signings. In which case, allow me to suggest….

No comments:

Post a Comment