Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Agonistes, South Side

As I’ve said, if the Second Coming coincides with a Bears’ game, the Chicago media will cover the Munsters first, Jesus second, space permitting. That’s just the way it is in these parts. Baseball, basketball and hockey fans can either accept that reality or go nuts, their choice. The 2-4 Bears played the 3-3 Patriots Monday night, and I got to read about the Munsters’ 33-14 upset win in the morning papers. I swear there were times this year when the Sox or Cubs have played on the East Coast, the game was over at nine, and there’d be no hardcopy story the next morning. And I’ve started checking online, too. Again, I swear there’ve been times… Who doesn’t want to beat Bill Belichick? I sure didn’t want the Munsters to lose. And they play the Cowboys next. America’s team, Jerry Jones? I think not. Another upset, please. But if that wish is answered, it comes at a cost to Jesus and a whole lot of football agnostics. Such is life for a South Sider these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment