Wednesday, November 30, 2016

A Couple of RIngs


The phone rang yesterday afternoon, and I knew it had to be Clare from the i.d. readout.  That, or a fundraiser for the very expensive Chicago-area Big Ten school was calling a wrong number to ask for an alumni contribution, to which I could only say:  in your dreams, buddy.

But like I said it was Clare, who had a few seconds free.  “I have two pieces of information” that she proceeded to tell me.  First, the Mets had re-signed Yeonis Cespedes for four years at a boatload of money, and second, “The White Sox told the Cubs they won’t deal Chris Sale to them.”  Now, that would’ve been interesting, a deal involving Sale and Kyle Schwarber.  Oh, well.

A few hours after the call, Clare was off to Valparaiso to receive her ring for being part of the team that won the 2015-16 Horizon League postseason tournament.  The ceremony took place during halftime of a men’s basketball game, always a big thing at Valpo.  Clare showed me the ring when she got back home, “Bukowski” spelled out on one side, and I immediately thought of Bill “Moose” Skowron.

We met Skowron at SoxFest in 2011.  He was wearing one of his many World Series rings.  “It’s for sale, but you can’t afford it,” the mostly ex-Yankee and little-bit-of-a-White-Sox informed me.  I hope my daughter can say the same one day.        

No comments:

Post a Comment