Monday, November 21, 2016

Put Up or Shut Up


I shouldn’t pick on Derrick Rose because…because it’s too easy, but I’m going to anyway.  Rose recently told the Washington Post that he wasn’t going to sell his Chicago condo at Trump Tower.  Why, you ask?  “Because I stay out of the political world,” Rose says.  But isn’t he the same person who wore an “I Can’t Breathe” t-shirt during warmups before a Bulls’ game not too long ago?  “I bought my place before he [then-developer Donald Trump] became a candidate.  And I felt [feel] nobody could [can] tell me to sell my property.”  Indeed.

I wonder if Rose knows about Dodgers’ first baseman Adrian Gonzalez, who refused to stay at the hotel part of the development when Los Angeles was in town to play the Cubs during the regular season (they stayed elsewhere for the playoffs).  “We’re here to play baseball, not talk politics,” Gonzalez told reporters during the NLDS, after word of his mini-protest leaked out.

Athletes make political statements by the clothes they wear, the places they stay, the real estate they hold onto.  It would seem Adrian Gonzalez understands that.            

No comments:

Post a Comment