Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Bad Company


I don’t go to Resurrection Cemetery to visit relatives; they’re not there.  Instead, I go out of the belief their graves serve as satellite dishes that make for better communication.  It’s also a good way to pick up brownie points when it comes time to check in with St. Peter:  Hey, I passed up biking that one nice day in November to go to the cemetery instead.  But, for the sake of today’s post, let’s say Resurrection is just like the cemetery in Edgar Lee Master’s Spoon River Anthology, with the departed present, accounted for and talking. 
I went yesterday to do my seasonal cleaning of headstones.  I was surprised and, yes, a little disappointed, to see a sprinkling of Cub flags and pennants; Resurrection is very much South Side, which should mean White Sox territory, but you can’t account for taste with some people present and past.  I’m just happy none of that stuff was around my father’s grave.  Things could’ve gotten heated among residents after closing time.  Ed Bukowski didn’t suffer fools or….

No comments:

Post a Comment