Thursday, January 31, 2019

Jackie Robinson


Today is the 100th birthday of baseball great Jackie Robinson, whose immediate effect on Chicago baseball can be seen in the careers of Ernie Banks and Minnie Minoso.  That of my daughter’s is still pending.

 

Clare grew fascinated with Robinson all on her own, as a girl playing baseball.  The class reports on No. 42 probably started around the time she was nine, and I’m pretty sure they continued all through grade school.  No doubt, she visualized Robinson when an opposing player shook her hand after a game, saying, “Nice game, bitch.”  That alone would have been enough to foster a connection.

 

On Sunday I noticed a number of young women working SoxFest; they were all Clare’s age and quite possibly White Sox interns.  I asked my daughter where she thought they would end up in the organization.  “How many front-office people had to work SoxFest first?”  We both agreed the number had to be a big, fat zero.

 

Clare has tried several times to get an MLB job, without success.  I would like to think the example of Jackie Robinson helps her handle the frustration in being treated pretty much the same as that kid did after a Bronco baseball game years ago.  But I’m not sure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment