Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Can't Wait


Clare was upset last night because, months ago, she’d mark today on her calendar to spend with me.  The White Sox had a day game, and we intended to go.  Ah, the best-laid plans of mice and families.

 

The two of us both miss baseball a good damn’ bit, but what are you going to do?  It appears you can’t hurry love, or COVID-19.  It’ll peak when it peaks and not a second sooner.  To act otherwise is to risk your health and your life.  But that’s just my humble opinion.

 

I say that because I saw an item in the paper yesterday that an area hotshot high school quarterback is transferring to a school in Florida so he can play his senior year and be ready for what he must expect to be big times starting in 2022.  He’s committed to a certain school east of here that’s really, really big on the color blue.

 

Again, the best-laid plans.  Transferring must be OK with the future coaches, and it has to be OK with the parents.  Me, I’m not letting my kid out of my sight until this coronavirus thing clears up.  I just can’t imagine shipping Clare off to play somewhere else so she’d be ready to go in college.  Like Florida isn’t a cesspool of germs.

 

High school athletes and their parents play this college-focused game all the time.  There was a pitcher, two years older than Clare, who switched districts so she could be on a better team, have better stats and look that much better to her college coach.  As God is my witness, Clare owned this pitcher, and I was certainly sad to see her graduate.  Maybe the same will happen in Florida to our quarterback friend.

 

I don’t wish him injury, but it would be nice if he and/or his parents gained some perspective on what’s important in life.  That’s it, life’s important.  The dead can’t play sports. 

No comments:

Post a Comment