Friday, May 8, 2020

Making Do


COVID-19 has hit New York pretty hard, so I should cut them some slack.  Pre-COVID, the story I read in today’s NYT on the glory that was the Knicks would’ve caused me to pass out from laughing.  I mean, who writes that two Knicks’ championships in 1970 and ’73”brought the very best of basketball to the bright lights of Broadway, illuminating the possibility of one day electrifying the world” with a straight face?

 

Granted, these are tough times, especially for those of us used to drawing a bit of daily sustenance from sports.  Unless you’re the kind to get excited by the NFL announcing its schedule for the upcoming season, there’s not a whole lot going on (and my thoughts and prayers to all those in danger of becoming NFL zombies).  For what it’s worth, here’s something I do usually once a day.

 

I go onto baseball-reference.com and look at the twelve player pictures they post, which seem to change and very few minutes.  So far, my record for connecting names to faces stands at five.  Art Nehf and Red Ames I’m never going to get, but I just nailed Luis Tiant; Hank Bauer; Billy Butler; and Geo Conzalez, all in a row.  It would’ve been five if I’d just guessed Rich Dauer.  And, yes, I know who Curtis Granderson is, but you put a Marlins’ cap on Babe Ruth and he’d look anonymous, too.

 

Like I said, it beats reading about who and when the Bears play.

No comments:

Post a Comment