Sunday, May 17, 2020

Waiting in Line, the Radio On


Yesterday, we travelled from Berwyn to the North Side back to three places in the western suburbs in search of flowers at a reasonable price and a reasonable wait.  The place all the way north on Clark Street in the city had two lines—one for flowers, the other for vegetables—each of which snaked down Clark onto a side street.  No, thank you.

 

Then there was the place that was selling hanging plants for $50; they go for $14-$25 at Home Depot, which was place #4 we went to, after the Ace on 31st Street.  You can save time by skipping one and two for three and four.

 

My job come growing season is to carry stuff around; install fences for Satan to jump over; water; and pull weeds.  The actual planting falls to someone else.  That work kept her busy for most of the afternoon, so I suggested we get hot dogs from Lucky Dog.  It was another line, but this one I put up with.

 

I had the radio on, and what should come on but “Panama” by Van Halen.  I always thought this would’ve been the perfect walkup song for the orcs attacking Helm’s Deep in Lord of the Rings.  Between Eddie Van Halen’s guitar and David Lee Roth’s vocals, it’s goodbye, Rohan.  Somebody tell the Tolkien estate to buy up the music rights.

 

As we inched along to the take-out window, I was reminded of Clare’s walkup music at  Elmhurst.  The first two years were god-awful country and western; how our little Polish princess developed a taste for Nashville remains a mystery.  Things changed junior year, when she went nuts over MC Hamer’s “You Can’t Touch This.” That killed my choice of “It Don’t Mean a Thing If It Ain’t Got That Swing” by Duke Ellington.  Go with class, I always say.

 

But I could live with Hammer; I mean, he certainly caught a moment, didn’t he?  The problem was what lyrics to use.  Clare initially wanted “You can’t touched this,” until I pointed out that made more sense for a pitcher than a hitter.  Then, she switched to the more appropriate “Hammer time,” and the rest was history.

 

You can’t beat Chicago-style hot dogs and good walk-up music on a Saturday in May.  Hold the coronavirus.

No comments:

Post a Comment