Saturday, August 7, 2021

A Big Day Around Here

This is the kind of child I have, one who’s texting me that the White Sox activated Jake Lamb off the IL, this while her water was breaking at the hospital. The way the Sox played at Wrigley Field yesterday, Craig Kimbrel may have caused more screams than the delivery of my grandson. The Sox had a 4-1 lead going into the bottom of the eighth inning (with an assist from yours truly, I might add. Just like Andrew Vaughn started hitting after I called him out, Adam Engel went 3-for-5 with a walk, a run scored and two stolen bases, just hours after I noted his uncharacteristic performance of the night before. Your welcome.). In comes Kimbrel to give up a two-out, three-run jack to Andrew Romine. Why do pitchers insist on throwing low pitches to left-hand batters? I don’t know, I don’t care. But I do care about Tim Anderson, who seems to be in a Yoan Moncada-like funk. Anderson is .200 over his last fifteen games, and that includes yesterday’s 1-for-6. Leadoff men are a lot like catchers—you can’t win without them. Anderson is chasing pitches he usually doesn’t and hitting balls without much if any power. I’ve seen homerun swings produce line drives that end up medium deep in the outfield at best. Time to give your sparkplug a few days off, Tony. Yes? I know a mother and newborn who would like to see some energy at the top of the Sox batting order as they spend their first day together.

No comments:

Post a Comment