Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Now, How Hard Was That?

Gosh, a new lineup with Luis Robert and Yoan Moncada at the top of the order; Leury Garcia playing second base in place of Cesar Hernandez; and the White Sox beat the Blue Jays last night 5-2. Maybe Tony La Russa was channeling me for a change and didn’t even know it. He should be so lucky. As for the performance by Sox starter Dylan Cease, that was talent or luck, you be the judge. I’ve gone blue in the face talking about how Cease needs to mix in his breaking pitches to get more out of his somewhat straight fastball, and what do I read but that he threw at least seventeen effective breaking pitches and changeups? Alleluia. All Cease needed was 95 pitches to get through seven innings. Wow. In his last two starts, Cease threw 102 pitches in six innings and 103 in five, respectively. SO, this may be a New Testament-worthy miracle. I mean, four hits, a run and walk to go with seven strikeouts. Either the right hander is finally figuring things our, or a proverbial dog was having his day. We’ll see with the next start. If I’m worried less about Cease, I’m now concerned more about Michael Kopech, who keeps giving up hits. Kopech has a 1.35 WHIP and 4.96 ERA over his last fifteen appearances. To worry is to be a White Sox fan. Tim Anderson sits yet again (though Danny Mendick got another two hits and an RBI in his place), Kopech keeps leaving hittable pitches over the plate. It’s amazing any Sox fan lives to see old age. I’m a grandfather now, and I want to see my grandson play the game his mother did. That means it’s time to connect with my inner Bobby Ferrin. I won’t worry, I’ll be happy, depending on what Lucas Giolito does tonight, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment