Thursday, November 21, 2013

Breaking News


The birthday express arrived from Elmhurst in the late afternoon for dinner and cake.  The princess wanting cheese pierogi on her special day meant going to a Polish restaurant on Belmont Avenue.  Me, I’d like beef tongue in carmelized gravy like my mother used to make, but I digress.

I was saying something on the drive home when Clare, the cutest little Borg with phone attached at the hand, interrupted from the back seat.  “Breaking news, the Tigers have traded Prince Fielder.  Guess who they got.”  I considered the likely choices for some fifteen seconds before saying, “Ian Kinsler.”

For that Clare gave me a “Way to go, Dad.”  And the third person in the car, both mother and wife, must have wondered, How did I end up with these two?
            On a possibly related front, Clare also noted that the Orioles are monitoring the progress of White Sox free agent pitcher Gavin (“I get the first fourteen guys out before giving up five runs in the fifth”) Floyd, who is rehabbing from Tommy John surgery.  Talk about a birthday wish.  Go, Birds.

No comments:

Post a Comment