Friday, November 15, 2013

Tell Us How You Really Feel, Contd.

 
The thermostat on Clare’s PT Cruiser cracked Wednesday, necessitating a visit to our favorite garage.  One of the owners used to be involved with the local baseball travel team.  Believe me when I say the Berwyn Bulldogs were terrors of the diamond back in the day.

 It wasn’t enough for them to win tournament after tournament; no, the Bulldogs also played Pony Baseball in Berwyn, as did Clare.  She hit their pitching and tried to catch their line drives.  That’s what happened to the only girl in Bronco level baseball, for 11- and 12-year olds.

Clare was, literally, hit-or-miss the summer of 2004.  I think she had more extra base-hits than singles and more strikeouts than either.  Whenever I got upset about the strikeouts, she’d line the ball to the fence.  In the season finale, she homered, pulling the ball to left, over the concession area into the parking lot at the aptly named Homerun Alley.  By my reckoning, the ball could have gone out at the Polo Grounds, where it was 280 feet down the left field line.  Not that Clare was done.

 “I want to compete in the homerun hitting contest,” that took place as part of All-Star activities the next day.  Are you sure?  “Yes.”  Think of what Linus said in the pumpkin patch about a woman scorned for a sense of the emotions involved here.  If I’d refused, Clare probably would have walked the two miles to the field by herself.

She didn’t hit any homeruns, just double after double to the fence, which generated a whole bunch of points.  Of course, the Bulldogs showed up to strut their stuff, only to have the girl finish 5th out of 25 participants.  I remember that morning like it was yesterday.
            But not what happened next.  There was a special Bronco travel team picked to play in California, and Clare wasn’t invited.  Getting the car fixed led to this not-so-pleasant stroll down memory lane yesterday.  “It’s not that I was jealous,” Clare told me.  No, but some snubs hurt too much to let go of, even close to ten years later.  How could I forget?

No comments:

Post a Comment