Sunday, March 16, 2014

Modern Family, This Family


 

With a thousand little things to do for Florida, Clare decided to come home and spend the night on Saturday.  It was like old times—dining room table a mess with school stuff, country music playing, the house pulsing with this child’s energy.  Michele and I sat watching “The Natural” on one of the cable channels; Clare joined us to watch Robert Redford as Roy Hobbs hit the pennant-clinching home run for the Knights.  God, I love how Buffalo’s War Memorial Stadium looked in the movie.

As soon as Redford-Hobbs finished circling the bases, it was back to homework for Clare, but only until the app on her phone announced that Adam Eaton had hit an inside-the-park homerun against the Dodgers.  “Hey, the game’s on television,” I said.  “Well, now I have to watch it,” replied my daughter.  And she did.  Later, someone fell asleep on the couch like Linus in the pumpkin patch, and someone else (not me) got up at two in the morning to lead her to bed.
Four days to the start of the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment