Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Bush League, Big League, Little Girl Tall


The campers and one administrator-turned-counsellor-for-a-day had an outing today at a minor league ballpark in south suburban Crestwood.  The Windy City Thunderbolts topped the Evansville Otters in Frontier League action by a score of 6-1.  Clare wasn’t impressed.  “They were really bad.  I think the fastest pitch came in at 84-86 miles per hour.  They could’ve given me a bat, and I could have hit it,” which is precisely what I’ve been saying for years.  If I had the money, I’d field a team of women players in one of the independent leagues.  It would be interesting to see what would happen.

Clare has a history with the Thunderbolts.  Once upon a time, they were the Will County Cheetahs, playing in the Heartland League.  Clare wasn’t six yet when we went to a game.  I’d set up a meet-and-greet with the manager of the visiting Altoona Rail Kings, who just so happened to be my favorite ballplayer when I was growing up.  Who, you ask?  Why, Walt Williams.

I have a picture of the three of us:  Clare, Williams and me.  I was the tallest then, and now Clare probably is the same height Williams was when he ran out to play the outfield at Comiskey Park.  Size doesn’t matter so much in baseball.
Gender does.

No comments:

Post a Comment