Wednesday, November 25, 2015

A Well-Dressed Man


So, there I am walking through the shoe department at Nordstrom’s with my wife yesterday when this guy comes out of nowhere to shake my hand.  “That is a great throwback jacket,” he enthused.  My wife is now used to this kind of thing happening to us.

The jacket in question has become old in and of itself.  I bought it Christmas Eve 1992, with a 1-year old Clare in tow.  A Mitchell and Ness beauty, the jacket is red with yellow leather sleeves and a White Sox logo from the 1940s, big S with a small O and X fit into the curves.  Billy Pierce liked it, and so have a number of other people in addition to that fellow at Nordstrom’s.

I had a 1959 White Sox jacket, but wore that one out.  When I’m in an Eddy Stanky mood, I wear the 1966 jacket.  Michele wears it, too, and gets guys hitting on her when she does.  I have also been known to wear a Philadelphia As jacket (with white elephant logo) and an Oakland Oaks beauty, forest green with dark brown leather sleeves and an oak leaf patch on the front.  That jacket along with a bunch of caps comes from Ebbets Field Flannels.

I won’t wax nostalgic about “the good old days,” not when they included tuberculosis, polio and lynchings, but the ballparks and uniforms, yeah, I’ll take those any day.

No comments:

Post a Comment