Thursday, November 26, 2015

On the Beauty--and Safety--of Going Deep


Growing up a White Sox fan in the 1960s, for sanity’s sake I took to following mirror-opposite teams like the Red Sox and Braves; if only we had Tony Conigliaro and Mack Jones, or even Gene Oliver, I was certain we could win a pennant.  It was the same in football.  The Bears back then lived and mostly died pounding the ball into the line, so I liked to follow teams with an honest-to-goodness passing game.  Naturally, Sonny Jurgensen became one of my favorite players.  Oh, how that man could throw passes long and on target.

So, when critics talk about violence being a major part of football’s appeal, I disagree.  What makes the game special is a Jurgensen or Johnny Unitas or Aaron Rodgers doing the hitting, be it short, middle or long.  Because I watched Dick Butkus so much, I also enjoy seeing a running back break tackles or in the case of an otherworldly talent like Gayle Sayers, avoid tackles altogether in a 50-yeard dance to the end zone.  At least in my version of the game, a good offense lessens the chances of a concussion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment