Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Ninjas and Shackleton


With the Olympics starting later this week, Clare and I will be denied our guilty pleasure of watching American Ninja Warrior on NBC.  I love how pride goeth before the fall, literally, on this show.  My daughter and I both agree ANW is just a grown-up version of Legends of the Hidden Temple.  Come to think of it, working temple guards into the course would make it kind of interesting, especially if they could poke at the contestants as they ran or swung or jumped by.

The sad thing about the show is how many of the contestants are identified as “gym operator” or “personal trainer.”  To me, this is code for “get a life.”  I know, I’m being too hard.  Michael Phelps and many if not most Olympic athletes struggle with everyday life; it’s the athletic skill that has come to define them.  Until we can get into outer space, glorified obstacle courses and the Olympics may be the best challenge we can offer such people.

From the 15th into the 20th centuries, there was always exploration, an uncharted river or unclimbed mountain to conquer.  I keep thinking of the Antarctic explorer Ernest Shackleton.  The man had no discernible skill other than to lead others through the cold.  Shackleton once spent 20 months in and around the bottom of the world 1914-1916 leading 27 companions safely back to civilization after their ship got caught in the ice.  Back home in England, though, the guy couldn’t hold a steady job.
It’s really too bad he never encountered Mt. Midoriyama on a Monday night in August.  

No comments:

Post a Comment