Saturday, May 18, 2019

Giving the Devil His Due


Yes, I dislike the gibber talk that comes out of the mouth of White Sox manager Rick Renteria (listen to any postgame interview for examples), and I’m not wild about some of his managerial decisions, e.g., the recent resting of youngsters Yoan Moncada and Tim Anderson rather than the bat-dead Yonder Alonso.  But there are other things Renteria does that I do like.  For example, take Thursday night against the Blue Jays.

 

Renteria called for the suicide squeeze in the bottom of the eighth, and Ryan Cordell got it done.  You wouldn’t think of the 6’4” Cordell as a great handler of the bat, which is perfect, because a successful squeeze depends on the element of surprise.  If I heard him correctly on the postgame, Cordell said it was the first time he’d ever squeezed in a run.  In that case, congratulations.

 

It pains me to admit it, but the Sox are tied for tenth in all of baseball with a .254 team BA, and tied for second in stolen bases with 33.  Add it up, and you have a team not buying into launch-angle mania.  Good for them, I say.

 

Now, just cut down on the clown stuff.

      

No comments:

Post a Comment