Thursday, May 9, 2019

KISS


Whenever I hear Cubs’ infielder Addison Russell speak, he sounds like an eighth grader struggling to use the phrase “social indiscretion” in a sentence, as in “I committed a social indiscretion for which I am very sorry.”

 

Called up from Iowa, his 40-game suspension for domestic abuse over, this is Russell quoted in today’s Tribune:  “I don’t think you can fake what’s really true in your heart.  And what’s true in my heart is being a better person and continuing to get better.  And, of course, I want what’s better for my family, and I want what’s best for this team.”  Russell is also “happy I have this second opportunity.  I’m looking forward and still improving as a person.”  Lastly, this from today’s Sun-Times:  “I know that I’m making great strides.  I know it’s a long road ahead and there’s no finish line, but I’m committed to this.”

 

Committed to what, exactly?  Returning to the starting lineup?  Getting the teacher to accept his sentence with the difficult phrase in it?  You can basically drive a tank through “this.”  Russell, his media handlers and the Cubs’ front office would’ve been far better off trying to acknowledge the simple truth, no matter how awful.

 

Imagine the reaction to Russell stating pure and simple, “I physically abused my wife, and for that I’m profoundly sorry.  No human being should inflict physical or emotional pain on another, under any circumstance, but I did.”  Before saying this, Russell, his handlers and the Cubs’ front office should’ve agreed on the strongest, most accurate wording to use.  Did he “abuse” or “hit”?  To me, the latter is the more telling, damning term and, therefore, the one to use.

 

In “gotcha” journalism, there’s a classic line, “When did you stop beating your wife?”  Russell should have included an answer to that in his apology.  “I stopped abusing my wife” on such-and-such a date.  If he had spoken the simple truth instead of doing an awkward, verbal dance around what in his mind may still be an indiscretion, Addison Russell would find himself in a far better place than he is right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment