Saturday, June 29, 2019

Random Thoughts


I wonder if there’s a correlation between how a fan felt about the 1992 U.S. Olympic “Dream Team” in basketball and ballplayers celebrating homeruns.  I didn’t particularly like the Dream Team, and I certainly don’t like the celebrating.
 
As for the Olympics, start off with the fact that it was never a fair fight, Michael Jordan and friends against mere mortals.  The Olympic ideal at one point was rooted in an athlete’s amateur status, Soviet Union and satellites excepted.  That’s what made beating the Russians in hockey in 1960 and 1980 so much fun, our amateurs upset their de facto professionals.  To me, the Dream Team was a bunch of Americans acting like Soviets on the world stage.  As for bat flips and whatnot, well, this is an old dog unwilling to go with that new trick.
 
All of which leads to the U.S. women’s team in the World Cup.  To me, they’re acting too much like the Dream Team.  Celebrating every goal in a 13-0 blowout of Thailand?  Really?  I get wanting to be seen as an equal to male athletes.  I didn’t know that meant acting like male athletes at their worst.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment