Thursday, June 27, 2019

Wavelength


Wavelength

 

I can’t listen to baseball on the radio anymore.  For a while now, it freezes me up.  I’m serious.  I can be driving in the car, and Ed Farmer or Darrin Jackson is describing the action, and that’s all I hear, as opposed, to say, the guy in back of me pounding down on his horn.  For better or worse, I am now at a point in my life where I prefer to watch the game on TV, the sound mostly off.  Turn the sound off the radio, and, well, you get the point.

 

Yesterday, though, I had to drive with the Sox-Sox, Chicago-Boston game on.  I was going to lunch with two of my oldest friends, and they’re not the type to humor a person, even if it is his car.  So, I got to listen to the eighth inning, when the White Sox defense combined with the relief pitching to turn a two-run lead into a one-run deficit.  But at no time did I wrap the car around a lamppost, then or in the ninth inning when manager Rick Renteria called for the hit and run with Leury Garcia, only there was no hit from Yolmer Sanchez; Garcia out at second.  Again, no driving the car into a lamppost.  Then Sanchez singled and, wouldn’t you know it, we arrive at our destination, a place so hip they wouldn’t think of having a TV turned to the Sox game.

 

Somewhere between the poutine and the main course, my one friend got a text the Chicago Sox had won; the two-run homer by Jose Abreu that followed Sanchez’s single I didn’t get to hear on the radio.  Oh, well, you take the good with the bad.  The White Sox don’t drop three in Boston, but they finally decide to drop Yonder Alonso from the roster.  [As I write these words, my daughter calls from work with the news.  These are indeed happy times for one White Sox family.]  That means Alonso final at-bat with the White Sox will be a pinch-hit double play in the eighth inning.  How sadly appropriate.
.
“Do I dare think it?” Clare asked over the phone.  Palka back in the bigs?  We can only hope.  If the White Sox can rectify one mistake, maybe they’ll go for two.  Anything is possible in a rebuild.     

No comments:

Post a Comment