Tuesday, December 17, 2019

As I Was Saying


In comments to the media Monday, Bears’ quarterback Mitch Trubisky offered strong support for his offensive line, as you would expect with an organization that conflates team with family.  But the new Papa Bear, aka coach Matt Nagy, may not have appreciated his wayward child’s comment that, “We’ve just got to find ways to take pressure off our O-line” when facing a good pass rush like the Packers threw at them.

Here’s what Papa said in response, as reported in The Athletic:  “First of all, as you all know, you guys are always catching us right after the game.  And so there’s a lot of emotions that go through [presumably, a locker room].  Here we are losing a game like that and knowing we could’ve played better.  So I don’t know exactly what the question was that was asked, but I’m saying, if you sensed frustration, I think I know Mitch better than anybody in this building except maybe [quarterbacks’ coach] Dave Ragone.

“So I know the effect or what he means by any of that.  I think probably, if I’m going back and watching that, it’s probably very general and big picture, but it’s also right after the game so I take nothing by that.  We have a great relationship.” 

In other words, the kid was blowing off steam in the heat of the moment and didn’t really know what he was talking about.  Papa has spoken, and all good boys had better listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment