Wednesday, December 25, 2019

Now and Then


You know something’s changed when the Tribune sports’ section has a White Sox story on page one, above the Bears and on Christmas Day, no less.  By way of an omen, news on the Bulls and Cubs was nowhere to be found.

I’m not a fan of Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf or sportswriters who pretend to be general managers, so forgive me if I’m slow to the Sox bandwagon in the wake of their signing pitchers Gio Gonzalez and Dallas Keuchel.  The new hot rumor is Edwin Encarnacion at DH.  Nothing says professional athlete as mercenary pursuit like Bartolo Colon or Encarnacion.  But, hey, Sox coverage on Christmas Day is a small miracle in and of itself.  And so was my five-count.       

Allow me to explain.  Every so often, I like to go on baseball-reference.com, and it has nothing to do with RAR or WAR.  No, they always put twelve player photos on the home page.  On very bad days, I guess zero.  Today, I got five.  Try to slip David Eckstein and Jerry Koosman past me.  No way.

No on this Merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment