Tuesday, December 10, 2019

I Go To Pieces


This is what makes eBay worthwhile (though my wife will surely disagree): a 3-1/2” by 5” snapshot of Comiskey Park from the late 1940s, judging by the two pickup trucks parked along the wall as well as the serrated edges of the photograph. All mine for $7.99 plus shipping.

If I have my bearings right, it’s a shot of the west exterior of the park, with the brick walls showing in all their pre-Veeck, unpainted glory.  Look hard enough, and you can make out the vaguely Prairie-School detailing that architect Zachary Taylor Davis worked into the design.  Of course, those magnificent arches are impossible to miss, as are the light standards and the 10-foot high (at least) lettering just beneath the roof that spells out the name of a place I still miss now nearly thirty years since its razing: COMISKEY PARK.

This is no reproduction.  Someone stood in the parking lot west of the ballpark to take the picture.  Then a photograph slowly turned into a piece of history, stayed stashed away in a drawer or a box or under the stairs until it found its way to me.  I already have a place picked out on my office wall for my latest acquisition. 

Yup, fits perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment