Thursday, April 16, 2020

The McCaskeys and Mark 12:41-44


 Last week, the Bears announced they were giving $1.92 million (including the $250,000 from several weeks ago) to help in the fight against COVID-19 in Chicagoland, and I almost felt I had misjudged them, but not for long.  You see, I read about Rachel Ray in today’s Tribune.

 

The food-and-talk-show host is well past her ratings’ prime; I remember going over to my mother’s when Clare was in grade school and we all watched Ray on television.  Anyway, Ray is donating some $4 million to the war effort, if you will.  If Rachel Ray can pony up that much, why not the Misers of the Midway?

 

Why?  The answer may lie in Mark 12, 41-45.  Jesus is watching a group rich people make contributions, as well as a poor widow, who managed just two coins of little value.  “Amen, I say to you, this poor widow put in more than all the other contributors to the treasury.  For they have all contributed from their surplus wealth, but she, from her poverty, has contributed all she had, her whole livelihood.”

Something for the McCaskeys to consider, and better sooner than later.

No comments:

Post a Comment