Tuesday, April 5, 2016

If You Could Read My Mind (in Czech)


 When my in-laws come to visit, they love to go to a Bohemian restaurant on Cermak Road.  I recommend the chop suey, which in all my life is the only restaurant dish that tastes exactly like my mother’s.  Who knew Eastern Europeans were so fond of Asian food or that somebody recorded Gordon Lightfoot’s “If You Could Read My Mind” in Czech?  Try getting that out of your mind once you’ve heard it.

So, maybe I was too preoccupied last night with the music to care about who won the men’s NCAA basketball championship.  All it means to me is that now the 19-year olds can start declaring for the NBA draft.  But I will say Hawk Harrelson sounds a lot better with a Czech soundtrack playing in my head.  I think the Hawk was saying how good the White Sox were going to be this season, but all I could see is that they were less bad than the A’s in the season opener.  Oh, well, it’s a start.
Speaking of things Czech reminds me of that great SNL skit with Steve Martin and Dan Aykroyd playing “Two Wild and Crazy Guys.”   And who can forget “Da Bears”?  In fact, I think it’s time to rework that one into “Da Cubs.”  Da Cubs vs. the ’27 Yankees?  Chicaugah 63, New Yorkie 2.  Jake Arrieta had a shutout tru eight but was lift for David Ross in da ninth, when Root ‘n Gehrig connected.  No more catchers pitchin’, guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment