Thursday, April 21, 2016

On This Date...


This is a good week for ballpark anniversaries.  On April 20, 1912, Fenway Park and Tiger Stadium both opened.  (The first time I saw Tiger Stadium on color TV my jaw dropped.  The blue of the home uniforms, the green field, the Edison-white of the bulbs in the scoreboard all made me want to go there, which, unfortunately, I never did.)  Four years later to the day, the Cubs moved into their new home, the former Weeghman Park.  It would be renamed Wrigley Field in 1926.  This is one South Sider who would stick the overused modifier “iconic” on the Friendly Confines.

While we’re at it, let’s not forget April 18, 1991, when my White Sox opened what they tried to pass off as the new Comiskey Park, which was and is a mall by any other name.  The Tigers ruined the grand opening by a score of 16-0.  That’s karma, my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment