Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Stream of (Un)consciousness


White Sox lefty John Danks has two starts this season, good (?) for an 0-2 record and 7.94 ERA.  On Saturday, he went 6-1/3 innings against Tampa, during which time he gave up six hits, three walks, two homers and five earned runs.  To Danks, this is progress of a sort.  He told the White Sox website, “I threw the ball a lot better than my line will show.  Threw some good pitches down; didn’t swing.  Didn’t get a call.  It just didn’t matter.  That’s the way it goes.  It’s part of it.  It’s baseball.  But I certainly feel a lot better than I should with the line that I put up there today.”  The story’s headline read: Danks finds positives, takes step forward in loss.

Really?  Aside from the gibber-speak, I see a pitcher who won’t look in the mirror.  Danks is kidding himself and insulting fans in the process.  But Danks has $14 million left on his contract, and the White Sox are nothing if not a team that plays the contract instead of playing for results. 

No comments:

Post a Comment