Sunday, April 25, 2021

But It Worked the Other Time

I don’t much follow the world of soccer because, well, frankly, the game bores the hell out of me. Yeah, I know, people in glass houses and all that. Still, I’ll watch a 1-0 baseball game any day of the week. One-mill, was does that even mean? That said, I do know something interesting happened last week, when a group of very rich people tried to start a “super league” of European teams—townspeople took out the proverbial pitchforks, forcing the collapse of the enterprise, amidst many apologies from said rich people. Of particular interest is the possible baseball connection. It appears that one of the super-league backers was the principal owner of the Liverpool Football Club, none other than John Henry, owner of the Red Sox. Gosh, I wonder if Henry thought he could force this idea down people’s throats the way MLB ramrodded the reorganization of the minor leagues? Maybe two wrongs did turn into a right, after all. If only I were a soccer fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment