Wednesday, April 7, 2021

Time Enough to Sleep

I went to bed early again last night. Oh, I saw Lucas Giolito cough up a three-run lead to the Mariners and Louis Robert get the lead back again with a two-run shot. But Jose Abreu’s second grand slam of the season had to wait until morning. Thank goodness for video clips. Yes, I’m happy the White Sox won, 10-4, and, yes, it’s impressive the pitching staff racked up another fifteen strikeouts. But I’m also happy beyond belief I didn’t stay up to watch the full 3:45 it took for my heroes to win. Time is precious, especially at my age. Baseball feels differently about that, I’m afraid. Over on the North Side last night, the Cubs and Brewers combined for a total of six hits in a 4-0 Milwaukee win, three of those runs coming on a first-inning home run. Was it the combined ten walks that pushed the game to 3:06; the combined 22 strikeouts; or both? All I know is I can’t sit and watch this kind of stuff anymore. The Brewers managed two homers, so you could say the quest for the long ball worked for them. But for fans of the national pastime? Something’s got to give, folks, or something’s gonna go, just like the dinosaurs. Instead of bones, our descendants will try to make sense out of bits of leather and wood.

No comments:

Post a Comment